Saturday, June 6, 2015

Modes Royale Cocktail Dress with Chiffon Bodice


This trio of dresses was inspired by a Modes Royale 1956-1957 Fall/Winter design.


 
I love the description of this dress-  "Scooped and contoured is the direction of this skirt planned to arch out at sides and glide at back."


View A is made out of black casa satin. I love this satin because it is not too shiny or flimsy.  It would also look beautiful in a print.



The sash and straps are tied slightly different than they are in the Modes Royal picture.  I will add pictures of the sash tied like the original picture at a future time.


Madra looks stunning in her new "Hutton" wig.




Originally I was only going to make the dress just like I saw it in the picture. 



But then I remembered the beautiful embroidered chiffon fabrics that I had bought a long time ago in Seattle.  So I created a View B.

 
View B has a full skirt and gives the dress another great look.


My two JAMIEshow Oonas are my models


 



The black chiffon is silk.  I prefer silk chiffon over polyester because it drapes better.




I used polyester chiffon for this dress though because my white silk chiffon is more of a cream than a true white.


 Then I had to try the design in lace.
 





Just when I thought I was done, I started wondering what the design would look like as a sheath. 
 
 
View C was made from embroidered chiffon.

 
 
 



But wait!!  That is not all!  I think I want to make a View D now.  It will be made out of a cotton print.  I will add the photos and instructions after I make it.


To purchase this pattern click here.

No comments: