Friday, January 7, 2011

"Rear Window" Black Cocktail Dress

This is the last costume from the film "Rear Window" that I planned on making. Actually I am planning on making another small batch of green suits and a bunch of yellow print dresses in a few months.



This dress isn't as well known as the black and white dress, but I think it is a beautiful dress.





The bodice is made of chiffon underlined in satin. The sleeves are also chiffon that are lined in peach organza to give them a sheer look. The satin collar ties in the front and the ends are sewn into the bodice side seams.









After I designed and made my prototype, I came across this picture on the Internet.



It was the most detailed photograph of this dress that I have ever seen. I sort of wish I hadn't seen it. "Well dang-it!", I thought "There are pleats on the bodice too." I decided I wasn't going to change my design, because it would be too hard to figure out how to do the pleats on the bodice. I also needed all of my prepleated fabric that I had for the skirts.

Then I came across this picture.




Look at the detail at the neckline! What the heck! I never saw that in the film! But then again, black doesn't show detail very well.


SEE?




I'm really glad I didn't see that other picture while I was making these dresses. It would have been very hard to do that detail in miniature.

Prepleated fabric is very hard to find. Even though I bought a pleater a few months ago, I'm not crazy, brave enough to try to pleat chiffon. My mother picked up this skirt at a second-hand store.



The pictures don't show the details very well, but the skirt was divided into three different sections. The top of the skirt had tiny micro pleats. A third of the way down the skirt the pleats get bigger.



At the bottom of the skirt the pleats get very soft. I would love to have 10 of these skirts. One for me to wear in a size that fits me and 9 to cut up and make more doll dresses out of.

I took this skirt to the dry cleaners and the lady working there commented on how lovely it was. I made the mistake of telling her that I was going to cut it up and make doll clothes out of it. She freaked out! "You can't do that!" she cried. I told her that I wouldn't be able to wear a size 8 in my wildest dreams and that I would be able to make 6 doll dresses out of it. She didn't get me at all, sigh. What is so weird about cutting up a nice skirt to make doll clothes? Doesn't everyone do that? Whatever, I'm recycling!



I used the top 2/3rds of the skirt to make four dresses. The other dresses were made out of some prepleated fabric that I bought years ago and always wished I had bought more of.



I lightened the picture to show the details better.




This dress also fits the Tonner dolls well.




All the dresses have been sold.

6 comments:

Hegemony77 said...

Beautifully made dresses!

Clara Fercovic said...

Congrats, it's marvelous. I know about finding the *exact* thing you needed *after* you finished your project, so annoying! C'est la vie :) Love your blog BTW, your work is great.

JavaBeanRush said...

Fascinating! I enjoy this blog very much. I love the dress. It echos Miss Torso's black negligee in the film (they both wear black on the same night).

What dedication you have to your craft! And you like classic movies too. :)

Thanks for sharing.

-- Java

Gabi-5mates said...

Your dresses !!are so pretty!!!

Angele Smith said...

Owning a cocktail dress is an absolute necessity in a wardrobe full of women's clothes for any fashionable woman. However, elegant cocktail dresses are not often cheap and depending on your lifestyle, you may not have a use for more than one. For that reason, most women should invest in one versatile cocktail dress that can be used on several different occasions.

Black Cocktail Dress

Unknown said...

I am super in love with that black Lacey dress.